Achieving policy objectives around zero harm and safe system requires a full understanding of the philosophical and practical background. Embedding this deep understanding within local transport teams was a requirement for Bristol City Council when they asked Agilysis to deliver a one-day training course for over twenty professionals.
The course content was amended to include a focus on urban issues which naturally led to discussions about vulnerable road users. The link between speed and vulnerability is key in a safe system and participants considered how road and vehicles can be made safer for all road users.
The full course outline for the day was as follows:
- Principles Of The Safe System
- Applying The Safe System: Safe Speeds
- Applying The Safe System: Safe Urban Roads
- Applying The Safe System: Safe Road Use
- Other Safe System Elements
- Bringing The Safe System Together